Thursday, August 27, 2009

The First Post!


What does one write for their first post on a blog dedicated to rambling musings? I guess I’ll ramble and muse about myself to start. Brace yourself; the next few posts are basically my autobiography.

I am a dilettante. That is to say, I am long on ideas and concepts, but very short on execution. I am notorious for getting into something creative and then investing a huge amount of energy, and sometimes money, into the new endeavor. After a time, the excitement wears off and then I move onto something else. I have dabbled with painting, sculpting, medieval reenactment, writing, web programming, and a host of other mediums. I’m sure that this blog will probably be a good example of that. Right now, I am excited to try writing some interesting, and regular, content. However, it is only a matter of time before the updates begin to taper off and become less frequent. Eventually, they will stop altogether. So enjoy it while it lasts.

The only thing I’ve ever really stayed with has been blacksmithing. I have always been interested in blacksmithing, but I thought it required a huge shop of tools and years of training to do it. That is until, about five years ago; I read the book “The $50 Knife Shop”, by Wayne Goddard, that described the basics of forging steel. Using that book, I built my first make-shift forge and anvil and got a piece of steel up to temperature. Something special happened to me that night. I knew that my love of forging steel was something that would stay with me forever. So far, that has remained true. If you look at my other site you can see a bit of how I have progressed. I am “in-between” shops right now, so my smithing has slowed to a trickle, but the desire is still as red hot as that first night. Since I am currently unable to really sate my creative drive via the forge and anvil, I have turned to writing.

2 comments:

  1. Hey dude! Nice start!

    I used to be something of a dilettante too, then I discovered the gluten and wheat allergy. As hard as it is to believe, what you eat can affect stuff like that. It gave me the ability to start following through on stuff. Anyways, good luck with the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I don't really have a problem with concentration. The issue is that I love the feeling of starting stuff but am often a bit depressed when its completed.

    ReplyDelete